From small sheltered housing schemes to large Industrial facilities, GES Water offers solutions compliant with current legislation.
What is Legionnaires’ Disease?
Legionella is a bacteria that grows in the environment and engineered water systems. It was first identified following an outbreak of severe pneumonia that affected a meeting of the American Legion in 1976. Legionnaires’ disease is usually contracted by inhaling the legionella bacteria in aerosol water droplets.
Legionnaires’ disease is a relatively rare form of pneumonia but is fatal in approximately 12% of the 300-350 cases reported in the UK every year since the start of the century. It is actually one of a group of similar diseases collectively known as legionellosis. The other forms, eg Pontiac Fever, and Lochgoilhead Fever, have similar symptoms but are not as serious as Legionnaires’ disease.
Certain groups of individuals are more susceptible to contracting and dying of Legionnaires’ disease, for example, men and those over 45 years old, but smokers, alcoholics, diabetics and those with cancer or chronic respiratory or kidney disease are also more susceptible.
Legionella bacteria appear to grow best in water between 20 – 45°C., For this reason, it is important that systems which have the potential to grow legionella are closely monitored and treated. Unfortunately, these systems are extremely common and present in most companies.
Legionnaires’ Disease is a potentially fatal form of pneumonia which can affect anybody, but which principally affects those who are susceptible because of age, illness, immunosuppression, smoking etc. About half the cases of Legionnaires’ disease are caught abroad.
It is caused by the bacterium Legionella pneumophila and related bacteria that can be found naturally in environmental water sources such as rivers, lakes, and reservoirs, usually in low numbers. As they are commonly found in environmental sources they may also be found in purpose built water systems such as cooling towers, evaporative condensers, and whirlpool spas.
List of our services:
- Comprehensive Water Hygiene and Legionella Risk Assessments in line with ACoP L8 and fourth edition HSG274
- Legionella Prevention & control measures
- Legionella Implementation & control precautions
- Provision of Dedicated logbook & record systems for Legionella control and management
- Audit & review services
- Legionella risk awareness training
- Water sampling and testing for Pseudomonas, Legionella, and coliforms using an independent UKAS laboratory
- Temperature monitoring
- Cleaning and disinfection of tanks, and incoming mains and associated hot and cold water pipe work
- Endoscopic Inspection of pipework, calorifier etc.
- Thermostatic Mixing Valve (TMV) installation and servicing
- Swimming pool and hot tub Legionella control
- Pre-commission cleaning
- Remote wireless temperature monitoring and automatic system flushing (link to text?)
- Supply and installations of water softeners and chlorine dioxide dosing systems
Remedial works undertaken including:
- Pipe work modifications and tank replacements
- Calorifier servicing
- Dead leg removal
- Scale and corrosion control of heating systems
- General plumbing modifications
With GES Water’s history stretching back 25 years & continued success & growth across the UK, you can be confident that you will deal with a professional & reputable company. As a member of the Legionella Control Association (LCA), we are committed to delivering high standards of service.