Commercial and Industrial Buildings Legionella Risk Management and Control
Commercial and Industrial buildings include a whole range of challenges with respect to Legionella Risk and Control Management.
Not only are there hot and cold water services, there will be many other types of water systems, depending on the type of activity occurring on each site. These include:
- Cooling Towers
- Air Handling Systems
- Wet humidification systems
- Paint spray booths
- Vehicle washing
- High-pressure cleaning facilities
- Plastic extrusion cooling
- Multitude of water based process systems
- Ornamental Fountain systems
- Swimming pools and Spas
- Water treatment system such as water softeners, demineralisation, and filter membrane systems.
All water systems will need to be included in a Legionella Risk Assessment. The level of risk, for each one, will depend on a range of parameters including;
- Aerosol formation
- Temperature within the system
- System contamination and fouling both organic and inorganic
- Changes in system water chemistry
- Water quality of system make up water
- Location and proximity to people
Risk management could include
- Continuous water treatment to control contamination
- Continuous low-level disinfection
- Temperature monitoring
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection
- Chemical parameter control such as pH and TDS measurement
- Regular water testing and system monitoring
- Regular water sampling for bacteria (TVC) and also specifically for the presence of Legionella bacteria.
The Legionella Risk Assessment will require experts, with experience of these and other water based processes, who can assess risk and provide risk control management solutions to the responsible person for each site who could be the health and safety managers or building services manager.
GES Water has 25 years’ experience in Legionella risk control and management. We have experience in the automotive, pharmaceutical, large office blocks, food processing, plastic, chemical manufacturing, steel plants as well as other industrial and commercial sectors.
For more information or support please contact us.
Main Reference and Guidance Documents for the Control of Legionella
- Legionnaires’ disease – A brief guide for duty holders
- The control of legionella bacteria in water systems L8. Approved Code of Practice and guidance on regulation.
- Health and Safety HSG Part 1 Evaporative Cooling Towers
- //www.hse.gov.uk/pUbns/priced/hsg274part1.pdf )
- Health and safety HSG 274 part 2 Hot and Cold water Services
- The control of legionella and other infectious agents in spa-pool systems
- COSSH Working with substances hazardous to health (//www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg136.pdf )